Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Diversion Press Welcomes Ryan Nemeth, author of I Can Make Out With Any Girl Here

Where did you get the idea for this book?

I was inspired by looking back on my day's as a college student...which I did while I was still a college student. I just thought that college was such a weird world to live in-- it has very little to do with real life, in many ways. I thought it would be funny and interesting to explore that world with this story.

Your book is different from a lot of the other books published by DP and this was a reason that we developed the Yellow Snow line. I guess you could say that in some ways, your book has body slammed the DP reader population. J Any comments on that?
I am happy to hear that it stands out! I never want to write anything that blends in or seems too much like anything else. Woo hoo! But, body slams hurt, so I am sorry for that.

Speaking of body slammed, we heard a rumor that you and your book have been making a splash in the world of wrestling. Is there any truth to this gossip?
Canadian professional wrestler Lance Storm, a former WWE champion, read my book and posted a positive review of it on his website. I was excited that it made him laugh, because as wrestling fans know, he can be quite serious sometimes... Also, http://www.dolphziggler.com/ did an interview with me about the book. That was cool, because Ziggler recently became World Champion, and I think reading my book probably had something to do with it!

As for me, the last few months have been very busy and exciting: I was offered a developmental contract with WWE and am currently training in their developmental system (Florida Championship Wrestling) in Tampa, FL. Hopefully my writing career and my sports entertainment career will blossom together!

Is there a take away message in this book?
I think Donny, the character in the book, makes a lot of foolish decisions and doesn't completely think things through, and he faces consequences for that. You know how we can learn from others' mistakes? Well, Donny is a perfect example of that. The main thing I want readers to learn is that setting fetal pigs on fire will NEVER lead to a good outcome.

This book obviously would be a good read for college students or those thinking about college. Any college advice? Any life advice?
Before you go to college, you should definitely get a copy of my book. Maybe 2 or 3, in case you lose it. Enjoy college because it will be over before you know it, and you will probably realize too late that life after college is quite lame.

Yellow Snow is a new imprint for Diversion Press and your book is the first on this imprint. What kind of books do you envision that would pair nicely with your book under this imprint?
Unique books that stand out. Books that may make you uncomfortable while at the same time entertaining you.

How did you develop the characters for the book?
I took people I knew and changed them, sometimes in small ways and sometimes in big ways. But everything in it is somewhat based on or drawn from reality.

What is one major challenge that you faced when writing this book?
I was writing it while finishing grad school, so I regularly put writing in front of studying. Staying focused on my school work was a big challenge, because writing the book was just so much fun!

What are the best and worst parts of being a published author?
The best part is looking at a copy of the book and seeing your name on it. That is really awesome. It's something no one can ever take away-- that book was published. You can't unpublish it! The worst part? When people want free copies, or want to buy copies from me. I wrote it, I don't sell them!

What would you like potential readers to know?
You can do anything. You really can. I have been told "you won't make it" or "you can't do that" so many times that it doesn't even mean anything to me anymore. But I got this book published. I mean you can really do anything as long as you work hard for it. I know that sounds simple and unoriginal-- but it's true!

Donny led us to believe that he will be continuing school at Kuhlman. Will we be reading about Donny’s second year in college?
You just have to wait and see! I am working on something new... I'm just not going to tell you what it is yet, though.

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about people wanting to buy copies directly from you! Sounds like you have an interesting book! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, Good luck with your book and the WWE. I raised three sons - so I am well prepared to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan,
    I loved your book. One of my favorite stories is when Donnie thinks that his bank account is in error since it keeps increasing, only to discover that the “-“ is actually a negative sign.

    Unlike Donnie I had a bit of extra financial help going through college, called the student loan. You don’t realize how those add up after college until they add up after college.

    Anyway, my question for you is, where did the inspiration for the bank account story come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryan,
    You are so right about not realizing how lame life is after college until after you graduate! You spend the whole time saying only 16, 15, 14 more weeks until the end of the semester and then only 4, 3, 2, 1 more semesters. Life just passes you by when you measure it this way. Donny reminds us all to take it all in--it will be the only time in your life when someone asks you about why you did something and you can just say, I don't know--I'm just a student and all will be forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the well wishes everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. antonio- the bank thing happened to my friend Joe our freshman year. he was convinced the bank was screwing up and giving him free money, and that his balance was just getting bigger and bigger every day. he was lavishly treating all of us hahahaha. it was only after a talk with his parents about what the parentheses meant that he figured out the truth!

    the lemming review-- i know exactly what you mean by that!! when my friends were counting down the days until graduation, there was a group of us who were absolutely depressed about the impending date. it was as if the WORLD WAS ENDING! because in a way it was. life as we know it was no longer going to be anything like it was. ugggghhhh i still miss it. hahaaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. everyone, thank you for reading, i sincerely appreciate you doing so!

    ReplyDelete