Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Diversion Press Welcomes Siobhan Nichols, Author of The Darling Rebels

We ask Siobhan, our youngest author, about The Darling Rebels and being an author and college student.  Read her interview below.

How has being an author affected your college life?

It's made me cooler to other students and more respected by teachers. I've been blindingly average my whole life, but being an author in my early twenties has definitely given me an edge.

Are you often asked for advice on writing and publishing?
I do get that a lot, yes. People I don't know will message me on Facebook, asking about the publishing process. I also get asked for my "writer's input" a lot.

What advice can you give aspiring authors?
Don't give up. Treat it like it's your job. Put your heart and soul into it. Have lots of different age groups critique it before you send it out.

How did you choose your setting for your book?
It seemed like the only place where something like the story could happen.

Who are the main characters?
Charlotte Abrams, Jack Camden, Adam Miller, and Lucy Richardson

Can you tell us about them?
They are seventeen-year-old best friends, who simultaneously save and destroy each other. Charlotte is a Southern belle with an untamable wild streak and a huge heart. Jack is a runaway who is as terrified of his love for Charlotte as he is of his past. Adam is a white knight and a troublemaker; he's also the catalyst for most of the emotional drama that the characters go through. Finally, Lucy is the 'everyman's girl'; most people relate to her insecurity from her best friend and boyfriend.

What inspired their creation?
You'd have to ask them. They just appeared in my head one day and now they won't leave. They don't even pay rent.

Are you working on anything new?
No, I think one book was enough.

I'm kidding. Last night, I was working on a book about a girl who learns to fly. But I change my mind all the time about what I want the next book I release to be.

Have you attended any signings or speaking engagements for your book? Can you tell us about them?
I spoke to a group of aspiring writers at my local library about the writing and publication process. And I was so incredibly nervous because I didn't want to disappoint them or give them bad information. Luckily, there was another, more-experienced author there, so that helped out a lot.

What are the best and worst things about being an author?
The best is getting to create worlds and have things go your way in them. Getting to live vicariously through your characters. The worst is the crippling self-doubt and the eating habits that form from that stress.

What question would you like to leave up for our readers to respond?
Should I or should I not go for my Masters in Creative Writing? Explain.

1 comment:

  1. I love being the baby of the Diversion Press family :D

    ReplyDelete